Spaces and Cultures of Quarantine will launch on zoom. Nov 4, 2020 3-5 PM Edmonton time
*Preregistration on zoom required.
*All articles are open access on sac.sagepub.com until Dec. 31 2020.
Speakers & Papers
(Presentations will be about 5 minutes each in sets of 4 followed by questions).
- Rob Shields, University of Alberta Geography EAS/Sociology Opening welcome
- Paria Valizadeh, Near East University, Nicosia (Northern Cyprus). Architecture Quarantine: Contradictory spatial practice between abstract and concrete.
- Gonca Tuncbilek, Nevsehir Haci Bektas Veli University, Nevsehir, Turkey Architecture Quarantine(d) Space: Urla-Smyrna (Izmir) Island
- Tihomir Viderman, Brandenburgische Technische Universität (Germany) Urban Management / SKuOR TUWien (Austria) Quarantine: alienated space by expert knowledge
- Aminreza İranmanesh, Near East University, Nicosia (Northern Cyprus). Architecture Restricted spatiality and the inflation of digital space, an urban perspective
- Eliana Rosa de Queiroz Barbosa, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro Urban Studies Academic Southernness as affective boldness: a quarantined testimonial
- Lúcio Reis Filho, University Anhembi Morumbi (São Paulo, Brazil) History No safe space: zombie film tropes during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Juan Guevara, University of Alberta Sociology Quarantine and Informality: reflections about the Colombian case
- Eva Bogdan University of Waterloo Political Science How a deadly pandemic cleared the air: Narratives and practices linking COVID-19 with air pollution and climate change
- Jim Morrow, University of Alberta Sociology Alone Together: Finding Solidarity in a Time of Social Distance
- Manuela Badilla, University of Valparaíso Faculty of Social Sciences When a Social Movement Quarantines: the power of urban memory in the 2019 Chilean anti-neoliberal uprising
- Mickey Vallee, Athabasca University Canada Research Chair in Community, Identity and Digital Media This is my voice in a mask
- Kamala Russell, UCBerkeley Anthropology Turning Quarantine Inside Out
- Justine Lloyd, Macquarrie University Sociology Closing comments
Please sign on to zoom about 15 minutes before the starting time. More information about this videoconference format see zoom.us.
When: Nov 4, 2020 03:00 PM Edmonton
You must register for this meeting in advance:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting